Hughes Associates has developed several software products for use by fire protection professionals. These products include:
Articles and Expert Reports
- September 2013 - Development and Analysis of Electrical Receptacle Fires, Matthew Benfer and Daniel Gottuk, PhD, Hughes Report
- July 2013 - Sprinkler Protection for Cloud Ceilings, Jason Floyd, PhD and Joshua Dinaburg, NFPA Fire Protection Research Foundation
- July 2013 - Fire Protection Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance and Building Fire Risk, Francisco Joglar, PhD, SFPE Fire Protection Engineering Magazine
- January 2013 - NFPA Award Winner Wayne D. Moore, P.E. Authors Practical Guide on Mass Notification System Design
- May 2012 - Understanding and Representing Staff Pre-Warning Delay, SMV Gwynne, DA Purser, DL Boswell, and A Sekizawa
- April 2012 - Determination of Fire Hose Friction Loss Characteristics, Joseph L. Scheffey, Eric W. Forssell and Matthew E. Benfer
- January 2012 - Chevrolet Volt Battery Incident Overview Report, Jerry Back, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- January 2012 - MGA/NHTSA Car Fire Inspection, Jerry Back, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- January 2012 - CHEVROLET VOLT BATTERY PACK TESTS, Jerry Back, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- November 2011 - The Monte Carlo Exterior Facade Fire,
Jesse Beitel and Douglas Evans, Fire Protection Engineering Magazine
- May 2011 - Planning Your Next Fire Alarm System Upgrade,
Moore, Wayne, Building Operating Management Magazine
- March/April 2011 - Protecting Metal - New developments in the fire-resistance of metal buildings, Nestor Iwankiw, PE, SE, PhD and Daniel Walker, PE, NFPA Journal®
- March 2011 - Heat Detector RTI – New Developments,
Gottuk, D.T., SUPDET 2011
- February 2011 - Fire Dynamics and Forensic Analysis of Liquid Fuel Fires,
Mealy, C., Benfer, M., and Gottuk, D.
- February 2011 - Rethinking The ‘Smokeproof’ Enclosure, Michael J. Ferreira, PE, and John H. Klote, PE, D.Sc., Consulting Specifying Engineer Magazine
February 2011- Voices: Afterburner,
Beyler, C., Baltimore Magazine
- September 2010 - Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation and Its Use in Attics and Crawl Spaces,
Beitel, J., SprayFoam Magazine.
- June 2010 - The Impact of Portable Fire Extinguisher Agents on Cultural Resource Materials, Scheffey, J. L. and Forssell, E.W., NFPA Conference & Expo, Las Vegas 2010.
- May 2010 - Fire Alarm System Maintenance and Upgrades – Compatibility, Reliability, and Code Compliance, Moore, W. D., The May 2010 issue of College Planning & Management.
- February 2010 - Video Image Detection and Optical Flame Detection for Industrial Applications, Gottuk, D.T. and Dinaburg, J.B., SUPDET 2010.
- October 2009 - Fire Dynamics and Forensic Analysis of Limited Ventilation Compartment Fires Volume 1: Experimental, Wolfe, A.J., Mealy, C.L. and Gottuk, D.T.
- June 2009 - Smoke Detection Calculations - New Advances, Gottuk, D.T., NFPA Conference & Expo, Chicago, 2009.
- June 2009 - Video Image Detection (VID) Systems Installation Performance Criteria, Gottuk, D.T., NFPA Conference & Expo, Chicago, 2009.
- March 2009 -The Current and Future Applications of Water Mist Fire Suppression Systems,
Mawhinney, J. R., P.E., FSFPE, SFPE Atlanta Symposium, 2009.
- Part 1 - Introduction & Fundamentals
- Part 2 - Types of Water Mist Systems and Equipment
- Part 3 - Codes, Standards, Test Protocols
- Part 4 - Future Directions
- February 2009 - Understanding the Effectiveness of Notification Technologies in Assisting Vulnerable Populations,
Gwynne, S.M.V., Proulx, Guylene, and Boswell, D.L., Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, Vol. 19
- February 2009
- Pre-evacuation Data Collected from a Mid-rise Evacuation Exercise,
Gwynne, S.M.V. and Boswell, D.L., Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, Vol. 19
July 2007 - Air, Fire and ICE: Fire and Security Challenges Unique to Airports,
Gwynne, S.M. V., and Boswell, D.L., Fire and Security Today - July/August 2007 issue.
- January 2007 - Integrating Fire Safety and Security into Movement Management,
Gwynne, S.M. V., and Boswell, D.L., January/ February 2007 issue.
VIEW ADDITIONAL PUBLICATIONS
- Maintaining Passive Fire Protection Systems in a Petro-chemical Facility, Arthur J. Parker, P.E.
and William P. Wheeler, P.E.
- Assessment of Hazards of Flammable and
Combustible Liquids in Composite IBCs in
Operations Scenarios, Joseph L. Scheffey and
Christopher L. Mealy
- Mawhinney, J.R., January 2012, Inadvertent activation of
- Building Operating Management Presentation, August 30, 2011. Moore, W., Fire Alarm Systems: Critical Considerations for Planning Upgrades and Expansions (video) [ View Slides ]
- Presentation to the California State Fire Marshal’s Smoke Alarm Task Force, February 17, 2011. Gottuk, D.T., Smoke Alarm Response and Tenability
- Fire Suppression and Detection Research and Applications - A Technical Working Conference (SUPDET 2011), March 23, 2011. Gottuk, D.T., 2011, Heat Detector RTI – New Developments
- NFPA Conference & Expo, June 2010, Las Vegas, NV. Scheffey, J. L. and Forssell, E.W., 2010, The Impact of Portable Fire Extinguisher Agents on Cultural Resource Materials
- Fourth International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security, March 17-19, 2010, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Cutonilli, J. and Beyler, C., Predictions of Railcar Heat Release Rates
- Mawhinney, JR and Trelles, J., 2010, Performance Testing of Fire Protection Systems in Tunnels: Integrating Test Data with CFD Simulations
- Fire Suppression and Detection Research and Applications - A Technical Working Conference (SUPDET 2010), February 16-19, 2010, Orlando, Florida, Gottuk, D.T. and Dinaburg, J.B., 2010, Video Image Detection and Optical Flame Detection for Industrial Applications, Paper, Presentation.